I am extremely pleased with the outcome of this election. I think Barrack Obama will do a fantastic job running this country along with Biden. And of course America has voted and it wasn't even close!! That tells you something. His acceptance speech was inspiring and empowering.. not a dry eye in the house..
I was on the phone on and off all night with my sister (who lives in Maryland) commenting on what was going on at that time. That being said, Yahooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I watched McCain's consession speech and I thought it was very well written. He had maturity, grace and good character.
Why do I think Obama will be a better president than McCain?
Here's my opinion:
I have read and read and read about the issues. There was one website that helped with my decision. If you have time give it a read. It is a little long, but I thought that it was very informative and it put things into how it would effect me. If I were to discuss them here it would take a long time! LOL!
Another reason was that I could NOT STAND Sarah Palin!!! I did not want the first woman VP to be such a bad representation of women in this country. I know that I shouldn't base my vote off of dislike for the person and it should be based on their policies. While my final decision was based on their policies, she did play a factor in the process. She was a horrible speaker. She made herself look like an idiot so many times. When she gave her first speech I thought she was a great speaker and she grabbed my attention, but then as time went by and more and more speaches were given, I started to realize that she just was not cut out for that position. I honestly felt that if anything happened to McCain that she would be a horrible president. McCain based his campaign off the fact that Obama didn't have enough experience.... But she does??? While yes she was running for VP and not President, you have to have someone there that can pick up the job if something happens. But then again she believes in the hard core republican views. Roe vs Wade, same sex marriage, etc. Personally, I think it was because she was a woman, but the others could argue differently just as well.
Another reason..... You guys can get mad at me if you want, and I don't want to start a discussion about religion, but....I am tired of our country being ran based on religious views. America is a melting pot and with numerous religions that don't all believe in the same god or the same views, so why should our country be ran based on the religion that is seen as the right one. I do not feel that money should be changed (in god we trust) or that the Pledge Of Allegiance should be changed.
Anyway.... A few issues were:
McCain and Sarah Palin wanting to over turn roe vs. wade. Making no exceptions available. With our jails already over crowded, putting a woman that had an abortion in there just doesn't make much sense to me. Now, if I went by my religion I would be Pro-Life but I am not. I am completely 100% PRO CHOICE. It's a woman's right to choose. Period. Now, Obama isn't for it but he's not against it. He knows it's not his place to decide.
Healthcare issues.
The plans for Iraq - I believe that there needs to be a targeted pull out date. If when that time comes, it doesn't seem likely, then we reasses. McCain wouldn't set a date saying that it depended on what happens. I feel that you set goals and if you can't make that goal, then you reasses the situation. McCain said that he will remain in Iraq until "Victory" is achieved. That just seems bullheaded to me. Is there really a victory in this war?Is it that the people of Iraq will be able to stand on their own or is it when we catch Bin Ladin, or is it that we make everyone see and live by our point of view?
Sex Education - The United States has some of the most frightening rates of teen pregnancy and STD transmission in the industrialized world. McCain wants to keep on the same track that we are on now. Sarah Palin believes in abstenence only teaching (it worked well for her 17 year old daughter! lol). I believe that it should be taught in the home, but you can't always rely on that, so we need to jump in there to try to fix the problem. It NEEDS to be in schools, home..etc.
I will stop going on and on and let you read that website. It is slightly skewed towards Obama, but you will find it hard to find one written by someone without an opinion. I don't feel that you can fully trust that they are telling the truth, but that is what the other parts of the government are for. The president can't do anything without going thru the proper channels and voted on by them. Just like in the bail out plan how it was denied by congress.
The 10 Biggest Differences Between Obama and McCain That Will Affect Your Daily Life
Now I am off to have a Office Party with my co-workers!
We are having Qdoba and Margaritas!! Yum! Yum!!!
February 2015
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment