On Sunday night, around 10:00 p.m. I took Peyton out for a quick walk before bed and she was fine and was normal for the first few minutes. She was just smelling some grass and marking her territory when a girl came into the courtyard carrying lots of groceries. Peyton got spooked and started pulling me towards the apartment. A few seconds later she just bolted towards the apartment stairs. (Just to clarify: She bolted so fast the leash came flying out of my hands!) Peyton ran up like 20 stairs (with her retractable leash attached to her) Then she ran down on the other side of the stairs and down the parking lot of the apartment towards the funerial home next door to us.
* Now Taylor was out on the balcony watching the whole thing and he ran out of the apartment with no shoes on and ran after her.*
I had my keys with me so I jumped in the car and went after her. I had no luck finding her. It was too dark. I drove around the parking lot and saw Taylor talking to two security officer's (They stopped him because he has on no shoes, no jacket and it was in the middle of the night.) We quickly explained the situation and gave them Peyon's description and our apt # and they drove off. Taylor went walking towards the apartment to put on some shoes and a jacket and I went to park the car.
I went back upstairs and put a hat on and we both grabbed our cell phones. I also wrote a quick note on the door (for the officers) to call our cell phone's if we don't answer. We quickly started walking around, calling her name.. etc.
We were going at this for 1 hour. I started to get really cold and Taylor needed to use the restroom. We went up stairs and I checked the house voicemail. (Her collar tag has our home telephone number so I wanted to check.)
Taylor went back outside and I started getting ready for bed (I had to get up in 6-1/2 hours.) Taylor was outside for another 20 mins and then called me to see if anything changed. Nothing did. I sadly told home there was nothing else we could do until the morning so he hung up and was heading toward the apartment when the security car was pulling next to the stairs.
She had a huge smile on her face and told Taylor that...........................
She found Peyton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taylor took her up stairs and knocked on the door.
Now I didn't know about what had happened so it was defintly a huge surprise! I opened the door and Taylor had a HUGE smile.. and I looked down and Peyton was right there! I just burst out crying! I just had a really bad feeling that I may never see her again...so I held on to her for dear life for a few seconds. Peyton was so cold and I needed to warm her up. I then said some things that I will not repeat.. since this is a family blog... but let me tell you. I was FURIOUS!!!!!
This was at midnight.
She was missing for about 1-1/2 hours......
She is much better now... We still have no idea what got into her.
February 2015
10 years ago

1 comment:
Oh my goodness, you must have been so worried!! I babysat for a friend's dog once and she got away from me, and I searched for 2 hours only to come back home and find her waiting under the porch! That was rough on me, and she wasn't even my dog.
Hooray, she's home!
Post a Comment